A Change Order is required whenever there is a change to an original purchase order or awarded contract. Additional documentation is required when a change order significantly alters the overall value of an original purchase order, due to changes in scope and/or value as follows:
- Overall value of the original Purchase Order is increased by 20%
- Overall scope of the original Purchase Order is increased by 20%
In such cases, a Non-competitive Procurement Approval Briefing Note (PDF) form must accompany the Change Order with a rationale for the increase.
All change orders are subject to a review and approval process and are also subject to the University Policy on the Procurement of Goods and Services.
Refer to the Change Order Standard Operating Procedure for additional clarification.
The end user is required to complete a Purchasing Requisition whenever there is a change to the scope, specifications, value or details of a project.
Steps to follow include:
- Open a Purchasing Requisition (PDF) form located on the Procurement Services website.
- Enter the vendor's name in the Suggested Supplier field.
- In the Purchasing Type field select "Change Order" from the drop down.
- In the Existing PO field reference the original Purchase Order number.
- Depending on the required change complete the appropriate fields of the form.
- Department Authorization for any changes remains with the original Purchasing Requisition approver.
- Completed and approved Change Order request is forwarded to Procurement Services for processing.
- Procurement Services reviews the Change Order request against the original purchase order and if approved generates a new purchase order.
- A copy of the new purchase order is sent to the end user for record-keeping purposes.
In addition, if the change to the original Purchase Order is the assignment of a new chart of accounts (COA), the signature of the cost centre owner must be on the Change Order.